USGS Geoscience Data Catalog
Additional USGS Geoscience data can be found by geographic location or by publication series.
Bedrock Geologic Map of the Windham Quadrangle, Rockingham and Hillsborough Counties, New Hampshire: Line coverage for topography
Metadata also available as - [Outline] - [Parseable text] - [XML]
Frequently anticipated questions:
Bedrock Geologic Map of the Windham Quadrangle, Rockingham and Hillsborough Counties, New Hampshire:
Line coverage for topography
Line coverage for topography. Not attributed for elevation.
Designed for use as a base map.
The geologic data was mapped during the summer of 1998 at a scale of
1:24,000. The bedrock geology was mapped using standard techniques.
Locational information was provided by Rockwell PLGR+96 GPS receivers
using the federal precise positioning service.
The line and polygon data were compiled on a mylar greenline of the
7.5-minute quadrangle and scanned at 400 dpi on an Anatech Eagle 4080T
scanner. The raster files (TIF) were converted to vector files (DXF)
using GTX OSR version 2.0 raster-to-vector conversion software. The
vector files were imported to Arc/Info version 7.0.4. Point data
were collected with GPS and hand held 3COM Palm Pilot III PDA computers.
Data from the PDAs were combined in Microsoft Access, and then imported
as ASCII text files and (dbf) files into Arc/Info. The Arc/Info coverages
were registered and transformed to the New Hampshire State Plane Coordinate
The topography was obtained from a photographic negative separate of
contour lines from the Windham, NH (1953 edition) U.S.G.S. 7.5 minute
topographic quadrangle. The negative was scanned on the Anatech
scanner at 400 dpi.
The geology dataset was printed and visually reviewed by the map authors
and other USGS staff for geologic integrity, completeness, and accuracy
of linework. The report received a standard internal peer review as
per USGS Open-File Reports.
- How should this data set be cited?
Gregory J. Walsh and Stewart F. Clark, Jr., 1999, Bedrock Geologic Map of the Windham Quadrangle, Rockingham and Hillsborough Counties, New Hampshire: Line coverage for topography: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 99-8, U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, Virginia.
- Other_Citation_Details: scale 1:24,000
- What geographic area does the data set cover?
- West_Bounding_Coordinate: -71.37510681
- East_Bounding_Coordinate: -71.24988556
- North_Bounding_Coordinate: 42.87508774
- South_Bounding_Coordinate: 42.74996948
- What does it look like?
- Does the data set describe conditions during a particular time period?
- What is the general form of this data set?
- Geospatial_Data_Presentation_Form: map
- How does the data set represent geographic features?
- How are geographic features stored in the data set?
This is a Vector data set.
It contains the following vector data types (SDTS terminology):
- What coordinate system is used to represent geographic features?
Horizontal positions are specified in geographic coordinates, that is, latitude and longitude.
Latitude and longitude values are specified in Decimal Degrees.
The horizontal datum used is North American Datum of 1927.
The ellipsoid used is Clarke 1866.
The semi-major axis of the ellipsoid used is 6,378,206.4.
The flattening of the ellipsoid used is 1/294.98.
- How does the data set describe geographic features?
- arc attribute table for topography
(Source: authors, compiled from USGS photo separate of topo from 1953 edition quad.)
- Who are the originators of the data set? (may include formal authors, digital compilers, and editors)
- Gregory J. Walsh and Stewart F. Clark, Jr.
- Who also contributed to the data set?
- To whom should users address questions about the data?
The map was published as part of a study of the fractured bedrock aquifers
in the state of New Hampshire. The digital data are intended for use by
all government, academic, commercial, or other agencies in need of digital
geologic map information.
Not intended for use at scales larger than 1:24,000.
- From what previous works were the data drawn?
- How were the data generated, processed, and modified?
- What similar or related data should the user be aware of?
Walsh, Gregory J., and Stewart F. Clark, Jr., 1999, Bedrock Geologic Map of the Windham Quadrangle, New Hampshire: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 99-8, U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, Virginia.
- How well have the observations been checked?
- How accurate are the geographic locations?
- How accurate are the heights or depths?
- Where are the gaps in the data? What is missing?
- How consistent are the relationships among the observations, including topology?
Chain-node topology present.
Are there legal restrictions on access or use of the data?
Neither the United States Government nor any agency thereof, nor
any of their employees, make any warranty, expressed or implied, or
assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy,
completeness, or usefulness or any information, apparatus, product or
process disclosed in this report, or represents that its use would not
infringe privately owned rights. The act of distribution shall not
constitute any such warranty and no responsibility is assumed by the
USGS in the use of this data, or related materials. Reference therein to
any specific commercial product, process, or service by trade name,
trademark, manufacturer, or otherwise does not necessarily constitute or
imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the United States
Government or any agency thereof.
This geologic map is a guide to the bedrock geology at
1:24,000 scale, but it is not a substitute for site specific data.
- Who distributes the data set?[Distributor contact information not provided.]
- What's the catalog number I need to order this data set?
- What legal disclaimers am I supposed to read?
- How can I download or order the data?
- Availability in digital form:
- Cost to order the data:
- Last modified: 09-May-2013
- Metadata author:
- Metadata standard:
- Content Standard for Digital Geospatial Metadata (FGDC-STD-001-1998)
This page is <http://geo-nsdi.er.usgs.gov/metadata/open-file/99-8/topo.faq.html>
Generated by mp version 2.9.21 on Thu May 16 16:08:10 2013